Sunday, January 22, 2006

Glitteratti know how to sundance

I decided to volunteer for the Sundance Film Festival during the first week. Since most jobs required an 8hr. shift committment 4 days a week, and I (as you may recall) have a full time job already - I went with one that only asked for 4 hours shifts. Why only four hours ? Because you work outside. Let me emphasize that Sundance is held in the mountain ski town 20 mins. away from my home, meaning it's cold outside. It's cold outside everyday.

On my first day directing people to the correct shuttle bus to get from our theatre to one of the theatres, hotels, restaurants, parties, parking lots and resorts in town, famous people sightings seemed low. Well, everybody kind of looks famous in quirky coats, footwear completely inadequate for 3 feet of snow and gucci/dior/D&G sunglasses (sunglasses being key). I might have seen the actress that played the Cameron-diaz-ish character in Lost in Translation. None the less, day one was fun as a volunteer, but fruitless as a festival goer.

I just completed Day 2 of volunteering. While the truly famous are carried around by private drivers and cars (not the shuttle system where I work) they do have to walk down mainstreet like the rest of us. While not volunteering, I saw with certainty, Toni Collette, Joe Pantaleon (sp?) and Dave Mathwes. Wow, I have had a really long day if I'm having a hard time spelling that one. From 7am - 10pm I was "sundancing" - and just couldn't muster the energy to try and waitlist the Beastie Boys documentary tonight. I did however, have the chance to see Imogen Heap perform, and hoped to see Rufus Wainwright (whom I ran into the day before inside a theatre, guitar and all) but had to leave before he performed. My only goal now, is to actually see a film - then I'll truly be at Sundance. oh yeah, and to finish up some deadlines at work - but where's the glamour in that ?

SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home