Thursday, November 11, 2004

Vapidly disjointed

I spend a lot of my time trying to avoid talking about politics and reading about them instead. As a result, or perhaps just naturally, I end up thinking about politics a lot. Staying inside because I'm having a hard time adjusting to this colder weather hasn't helped the situation. The majority of my day is spent reading- reading at work to write reports or newsletters, reading the times online over lunch, reading random websites to find a place for dinner, a new job, or a salon that doesn't cost $200 for a haircut. When I come home from work, I return to the job search or reading to catch up with friends at sites similar to this one, and then cozy up with a mediocre periodical or random book. (so far I've read Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's, Kafaka's Metamorphosis, and due to a book club Wicked; the only magazine worthy of mention, The Economist - my favorite)

New York magazine was a new purchase for me today. I participated in the exit poll, in which they surveyed 100 New Yorkers - I was one of them! Considering this is the most honest I've been with someone about my political views, I figured I'd better buy it.Normally, I don't like to talk about politics because it's much more interesting to observe, even though I often have lots to interject, but in the polls case, I respected the craft. Other problem is, I'm a political schizo, and working in a non-profit I'm influenced by liberal views... while visiting Salt Lake ... you get the picture.


On the way home I picked up a Village Voice from a stand on the street to compensate for the lack of interesting material in a magazine unworthy of its namesake. There's a reason I don't regularly buy New York magazine - it's also written for people who have not just the $3.99 cover price, but a whole lot more. Not my favorite New York.

I just got my most interesting periodical I receive by mail, Political Science and Politics. Sounds like a page turner, doesn't it? The American Political Science Association thinks so, and as a member, I guess I must too. The edition came out before the election - out of 9 election prediction studies, most were quite accurate - percentage of the vote and all, just one group went for Kerry. Either way it doesn't seem that those predictions were well publicized outside of this happy little journal, or at least to the optimistic New York community and heavy Kerry donors. Most of New York seems to feel singled out and alienated by the rest of America because of Bush's win. There's talk amongst some of potentially leaving, utter disgust amongst others - but any way you look at it, our political system and our basic liberties (hopefully) remain, our day to day lives are the same no matter the election outcome.

Some poli sci followers believe Thomas Jefferson intended for government to change drastically with every generation, or for at least each generation to consciously work for and bring about their new agenda. He felt it should be built into the framework in someway, for a bloodless revolution - he called it - to take place every 20 years or so. Sure, people may be up in arms or celebrating at the moment, but for the most part, we'll continue to live our lives. We lack true appreciation of the freedoms of our nation. We lack conviction and insight, we lack the passion and cohesion needed to make Jefferson's vision a reality. Bush and Kerry may be from differnt political parties, but they're still following the same politics. Surely, in his time it would have been difficult for him to imagine a nation filled with bystanders. On the sidelines the next generation remains - on the sidelines I remain. Silent and motionless - except for maybe that exit poll. I'll leave it at Burke- "A cheap, bloodless reformation, a guiltless liberty, appear flat and vapid to their taste." Happy Veteran's Day.

Current favorite album: Air, Talkie Walkie (excellent soundtrack to life)

Song I liked hearing today (aka Song of the day): So says I, the Shins

Fun Link: Mr. Picassohead

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home