Saturday, November 20, 2004

Reverie for Rivalry


Dark by 4pm, the pathetic fallacy of Lehigh's loss. The sky mourns more than football. Here in one of my favorite buildings in the world - Linderman Library - I sit looking out the stone bordered window panes to the bare trees turned into black sillohettes by the evening light. The flag slowly waves in a shaft of light from below. The white pole and bold reds and whites don't fit in the somber scene, or with the warmth of the wood panels surrounding me here. Am I the sobering dark, cold autumn day? The bold awkward flag? The wise enveloping wood? or simply the window. Where do I fit on this campus? A year that would be my senior, and yet I am senior in life to the students here - fully employed in the infamous "real" world. I don't know what to say anymore to people who ask how I like my job. I don't know how to tell them what I spend my spare time doing, it's more to be said in simple conversations. Sometimes, I don't know why I come back. Except that somehing here feels like home. Fun can be created anywhere. Friends can be relocated and contacted throughout the world. But the wood, the windows, the view - it's wholistic. Still the setting for some of my dreams at night, or the wanderings of my mind - it is tough to realize how long this place will stick with me. How very long I will miss those day. It cannot be recreated. Coming back, it will always be less than it once was. Hopefully, I will be more. But for now - I remain a little disillusioned by my displacement in a distant working world. For the first time since I've been here, I have heard the bells from the University Center Tower ring on the hour. 5pm.


Today's Song: I Will, Beatles White Album

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home