Sunday, November 28, 2004

Lolita, Charlotte and Abbey

Three little ten year old boys filled the hidden corner of the store, lying in a messy pile of merchandise. Splayed around them were books they had rejected and now they sat, silently perusing their piles. Reading actual kid-targeted novels. There I was, also, at 10pm on a Saturday night, wishing I had a corner to lie in as I stepped over the woman sitting in the isle. Barnes and Noble, somehow managed to make a bookstore and books popular. When there is an entire universe of free printed material available on the web, people still come out of their homes, away from their computers and head - not to the free libraries - but to the bookstores - even just to sit on the floor. The music industry should take notice and stop worrying about pirates. That's another tangent in itself.

I must say, it is refreshingly hopeful to reflect on the popularity of the printed word. The millions of people writing - in web logs or at their websites, and the people reading. Of course the corner bookstore could use our business much more than the book giant, but repopularizing reading is something the small bookstores never achieved. Can places like Barnes and Noble really take credit? Whatever the cause, it's interesting to see reading as a social activity. People come with friends, come to meet friends, or make it a destination, a place to get out and be social. Anyway, I'm not really seeing the point here - cept to say that I like bookstores. I'm glad to see society supporting writers, but I really just like the feel of it all. I'm hoping to get started on Reading Lolita in Tehran soon, and then I'd really like to read I am Charlotte Sims. And you know how I figured out what I'd like to read these books, as opposed to the bunches of other books in the store ? - by reading about them in various periodicals. Reading about reading. crazy, however, something about it excites me. Before I finish my current book and move on, I'll have to stop having such wonderful visitors as my step sister Natalie, and my upcoming visit from three of my cousins - it may be somewhat country/city mouse ish - but we shall see.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving around here (because it's when the cousins and natalie's husband arrive - making it enough people to warrant turkey cookin). I made pies. Tomorrow I will cook turkey. That will be more than enough domesticity for the month. Right now, I'm just amazed I cooked pies, we'll see if anything is actually good when we eat.

Today's Song: You Never Give Me Your Money, Abbey Road, Beatles
usually, I try not to explain the song of the day, although it's the most telling of my thoughts or relates to something I did. For example, the last Beatle's song appeared in a dream of mine. This one, however, has played both times in the past week that I've been to Barnes and Noble, and I like it so much (I really just like theBeatles so much - but this son's especially nice) that it makes me stop walking and I can't concentrate on the books. Plus, it also seems to be quite fitting with my current situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home